Translate

Thursday 13 February 2014

Featured Interview With Leona Pence - Author Of Hemphill Towers





Tell us a little about yourself. 




I’m a widow with four children, twelve grandchildren, and 2 ½ great grandkids. I’ve lived in Illinois my entire life, the past fifty years in the same house. I mentor one of eight classrooms in an online writing course called F2K (Fiction for 2000). There are three 7-week sessions per year which keep me busy.



How did you become a writer, and did you always want to write?

No, I never saw myself as a writer and it still surprises me that I actually wrote a book. After my husband died from lung cancer, I turned to my computer to save my sanity. I met people online to chat with. Hemphill Towers started as a joke between me and two online friends. We made ourselves younger career women, each described a love interest, and I was to use the info to write a humorous story. Once I started writing, the words just kept coming. Three months later, I had a very rough, first draft novel.

How do you hope your readers react to the stories you write?

I hope they are entertained and feel satisfied when they get to the end. It’s a wonderful feeling when a person takes time to tell you they love your book and want to read more.  

What responses to your writing have affected you the most and why? 

It would be those who kept pushing me to get my manuscript published. I was satisfied just having family and friends read it. One friend said, “Leona, it’s too good not to be published.” That’s when I started to seek critique from a novel group in Writer’s Village University. I’m so glad I did.

Other than writing great stories, what other goals do you have for your life?  

At this point in my life, I’m just ready to enjoy my large extended family. I’d like to read at least two books a week. My kindle app is so full of book that I need to catch up on.

What do you like to do in your spare time? 

Reading is my favorite pastime. I like to chat, play online pool, scroll Facebook, and visit with my family. I used to play in a Yahoo pool league and really got addicted to the game. Now I just play occasionally from the Yahoo Messenger games. I’m good at it too. Challenge, anybody?

What can you tell us about your latest works? 

I’ve started a second book using many of the characters from Hemphill Towers. Unfortunately, I don’t stick to a writing schedule, so I’m not as far along as I’d like to be,

What stories can your fans expect from you in the days ahead? 

If they were signed up for F2K, they could read a romantic/fantasy I use for my lesson example called The Picture Frame.  I would like to try my hand at Flash Fiction. The tiny stories are a challenge.

What would you like to say to your fans in New Zealand and others worldwide?

I hope they read and enjoy Hemphill Towers. It has something for everybody, romance, art, stalking, intrigue. I’d love to see my book being read all over the world.

 I used to have a penpal from NZ. He sent me beautiful pictures of surrounding islands, and large cruise ships. I’d love to visit and see it up close. 

Do you have any parting words?

I’d like to thank you for hosting me on your blog. It’s been a pleasure being here.




2 comments:

  1. Leona is my Mom and she is such a great story teller. When my kids were young and we lived away (at one point in Germany) she would write little stories about each one of them and send it to them. They all loved that so much! Now she writes bigger stories and they are just as exciting to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting me, Trina, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete